January 25, 2012

Pic-centric (4)

These are pics of my good friend and incredibly talented artist, Lauren Day Benson doing a portrait of Lady Gaga with sidewalk chalk!



RuPaul's Drag Race Season 4 runner up, Raven, gave her mother a glam makeover on RuPaul's Drag U. The twist? Her mother is Mormon and had never seen her son in drag! It was just surprising to learn this model of smoldering drag fierceness was raised as a Mormon!
Look out world, Mitsy Poochista has arrived!


OK, also, for real, super serial, gonna tell it like it is and keep it real...
RUPAUL'S DRAG RACE SEASON 4 STARTS NEXT WEEK!
I mostly try to not think about it because when I do, it's like a child anticipating Christmas. Above we have Season 4 contestant Sharon Needles, great name, great face and seems to have a great commitment to the character! Plus, she's super goth, so she's won my heart.

Remember the preacher from Poltergeist II that I said would haunt your nightmares. I wasn't kidding!




The two images above are from "Avatar: The Last Airbender". I recently watched the series, and I thought it was really well made and was surprisingly mature and interesting for a kid's show. It seems to be more popular among people who aren't particularly big fans of anime, so if you are an anime aficionado, it might not be for you. But I really could go on and on about the various reasons I think it's great, and I'm sure one day I will. For today, I will just show a couple of images that are examples of one of my favorite aspects of the show. As I said, I am not a huge fan of anime. Not to say I don't like ANY anime, there are definitely some anime films I love. But, especially in television, the animation can be very intense, and in "Avatar" I really liked that the animation will change slightly to fit the mood of the scene. People are mostly drawn in an anime style, but then, when they meet an Indian monk, he is subtly drawn differently to look more Indian. The show also departs from anime altogether when telling a story of the past. These two images are from different stories, which are shown in Japanese zen style, or with a more simplistic, almost paper-cut-out like style. It shows that the show is willing to depart from its comfort zone and show the viewer something new altogether.
Plus, prettttttty!

Hahaha, a Firefly still. Juuuust suckin' on some strawberry.

 
Oh Netflix, you know me so well!

 
After finishing the 90's X-Men cartoon, I decided to watch a bunch of the different X-Men shows. "X-Men: Evolution" was okay, not great. I like that they have some more obscure New Mutants on the show. But I hate that they make up a random character (Spike) to put on the team. He is boring and has the same powers as an already existing character. I just never understand when they make up a character instead of using the ZOUNDS of already established characters. Plus, both Spike and Nightcrawler (shown above) have these "streetwear" looks in which they are sagging their pants, and have their shirts tucked into their underwear.
Was that EVER a look?!?

 
"Wolverine and the X-Men" came after "Evolution" and despite my initial distaste for making Wolverine the leader just for the sake of popularity, the show is really good! It's the only series that features Emma Frost (above) as a member of the X-Men The series is about Wolverine trying to get the disbanded X-Men back together after the disappearance of Xavier and Jean leaves the mansion in ruins. Maybe the best X-Men cartoon yet, interesting storyline that actually comes to a great climax. It's the only X-Men cartoon that doesn't have an opening credits intro for each teammate. This is fun because you never know who is going to come back to the team and who doesn't.

SPOILERS:
Emma sacrifices herself in order to have the most fabulous death of all time! Exploding into millions of tiny diamonds that rain down on the other characters! Below is Cyclops, looking at the shards of his could-have-been lover!

No comments:

Post a Comment